Legal Aid Society: Harlem Community Law Office
About Legal Aid Society: Harlem Community Law Office
The Legal Aid Society is a private, not-for-profit legal services organization, the oldest and largest in the nation, dedicated since 1876 to providing quality legal representation to low-income New Yorkers. It is dedicated to one simple but powerful belief: that no New Yorker should be denied access to justice because of poverty.
Call this location directly Monday-Friday 9am-5pm via (212) 426-3000, or you can reach us via our:
- Main Number (212) 577-3300
- Helpline (888) 663-6680, staffed Mon-Fri 10am-3pm
- For Employment Law, our Hotline at (888) 218-6974
- For individuals who believe they have been discriminated against based on HIV status, the HIV/AIDS Representation Project (H/ARP) at (212) 426-3000
- We also have a special project for seniors. If you are a senior, ask for information about the Elder law Project when you call.
We serve the following area:
- New York (Manhattan) County
This group serves the West Side of Manhattan above 110th Street and the East Side of Manhattan above 96th Street.
We speak the following languages:
- Mandarin Chinese
- Spanish / Español
Can arrange for interpreters for any language on a long-term basis.
Criteria for providing legal aid:
Your family's income should be at 125% or below the following percentage of the federal poverty level. This group will accept a person with an income higher than 200% of the poverty level if the person is a senior, HIV positive, or experiencing domestic violence.
This organization is accessible by wheelchair and provides access for the hearing impaired.