Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.- LawNY® - Rochester Office
About Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.- LawNY® - Rochester Office
LawNY® is a non-profit law firm that provides free civil legal services to low income people in 14 counties in western New York. LawNY® offices may be able to help you with problems such as housing, public benefits, family law for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault, consumer, and access to health care. Special projects provide legal help to survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault, victims of crime, Veterans and people living with HIV/AIDS.
We provide free legal services:
- Monroe County
Criteria for legal help:
Eligibility guidelines are generally 125% of the federal poverty level, but vary by type of legal problem (due to requirements of different funding sources). Exceptions can be made in certain circumstances up to 200% of Federal Poverty Level.
We provide the following free legal services:
- Discrimination in renting
Federal Protected Classes: Race, Color, Religion, National Origin, Gender, Familiar Status, Disability. Additional Categories in NYS: Age, Marital Status, Sexual Orientation
- Accommodation of disabled individuals (e.g., ramp or therapeutic animal)
- Terminations from Rochester Public Housing, Section 8
- Subsidized housing issues
- Landlord problems
- Landlord Disputes (Repairs, Utility Shut-offs by landlord)
Employment Rights and Rights of Persons with Criminal Records:
- Employment Discrimination
- Employment Clearance for Background Checks by Public Agencies
- Certificates of Relief from Disability/ Certificates of Good Conduct
- Public Benefits denials based on Criminal Record (“Fleeing Felon” and UIB Misconduct)
- Employment Discrimination based on Criminal Record (Re-entry issues)- All Counties
- Denials, Sanctions, or Discontinuances of Public Assistance, Food Stamps, Medical Assistance, Child Care benefits, Non Dependent Grantee, HEAP, etc.
- Denials, Sanctions or Discontinuances of Emergency Placements
- Representation at Fair Hearings
- The Nutrition Outreach and Education Program conducts pre-screenings and assists Food Stamp applicants in Monroe County. Call (585) 295-5624.
Health Law (All 14 Counties within LawNY wide)
- Barriers to enrollment and retention of benefits
- Denials of health care services
- Coordination of benefits
- Access to care for uninsured persons
- Access to health insurance programs
- Reduction of medical debt
- Managed Long-term Care Issue
Seniors Legal Services Project:
- Power of Attorney/ Advanced Care Directives (Wills)
- Healthcare issues (including Medicare and Medicaid)
- Rights of Nursing Home and Adult Home Residents
- Social Security Overpayments
- Public Benefits
- Simple Wills
- Civil legal problems named above faced by veterans and their families.
- Pull credit report for homeless individuals to help them with housing
This organization accessible by wheelchair and provides access for the hearing impaired.