About Legal Momentum
At Legal Momentum, we recognize that the fight for gender equality is also a fight for racial justice. We understand that to tackle gender discrimination, we must also address the institutional racism faced by people of color in this country. We know that discrimination in any form puts marginalized groups at greater risk of economic hardship, exclusion, and violence.
Founded in 1970 as the NOW Legal Defense and Education Fund, Legal Momentum is the nation’s oldest legal advocacy organization dedicated to advancing the rights of women and girls.
Over the past 45 years, Legal Momentum has made historic and enduring contributions to the rights and opportunities available to women and girls through its advocacy, litigation, and educational initiatives.
Today, Legal Momentum’s work focuses on eight priority areas to advance the economic and personal security of America's most vulnerable women. Our work influences positive change in the following areas:
- 1. Constitutional Rights: Gender-based
- 2. International Human Rights: Gender-based
- 3. Trafficking
- 4. Commercial Sexual Exploitation
- 5. Gender Bias in Courts (educates judges and justice system professionals about gender bias)
- 6. Cyber crimes - sextortion, stalking, revenge porn
- 7. Lack of Access to Justice
- 8. TITLE IX - Educational Equality
We serve the following area:
- Bronx County
- Kings (Brooklyn) County
- New York (Manhattan) County
- Queens County
- Richmond (Staten Island) County
We speak the following languages:
- French / Français
- Spanish / Español
This organization accessible by wheelchair, but doesn't provide access for the hearing impaired.
In order to get legal help, you need to be a woman or girl.